Sundays are my favorite. They are usually filled with family coming over and my mom cooking wonderful dinners for us. This is one of those meals 😊 Winter time means warm foods; stews and soups and hearty meals! Thats probably the only reason I enjoy winter 😉 And this meal is whole30 compliant and made in the Instant Pot so its pretty easy and quick!! It can totally be made without an Instant pot too! The directions are below the recipe👍🏼
Whole 30 Instant Pot Beef Stew (print here)
4 lbs. beef stew meat
6 oz. can tomato paste
32 oz. (4 cups) bone broth- beef or chicken
1 tbsp. dried basil
1 tbsp. oregano
1 tsp. thyme
1-2 cloves garlic, minced
1 8oz container mushrooms
5 large carrots, cut into chunks
3 stalks celery, chopped small
1 large onion, slivered
2 sweet potatoes, chopped into chunks*
- Brown meat in instant pot in batches using coconut oil or ghee to coat pan. Add salt and pepper to taste to each batch. Place meat in a separate bowl until all meat is browned
- Add tomato paste to pot along with spices and garlic. Add a splash of the bone broth and stir until the paste darkens, about 2-3 minutes
- Add the rest of the bone broth and meat. Add all the veggies to the top
- Cook on meat/stew setting for 30 minutes.
- After the instant pot is done. Stir ¼ cup arrowroot powder into ¼ cup water. Add to the stew to thicken and enjoy!
*Can use regular potatoes
If you don’t have an instant pot this can be made using a Dutch oven. Brown your meat in the Dutch oven following the directions above. Add broth and bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer. Cover and cook for 1½ hours. Add veggies and simmer covered for 30-40 minutes or until veggies are tender. Thicken as above!