Tid Bit(e) Tuesday
- Good source of carbohydrates- Plantains are a good, healthy source of starchy carbs. Sometimes when people clean up their diets they are left without many choices and can go too low carb because they aren’t eating the processed junk that is filled with empty, processed carbohydrates. If you’re feeling sluggish and tired you need to add more healthy carbs to your diet!
- Potassium- Contains about 20% of your RDV of potassium which supports bone and muscle function
- Vitamin B6- Contains about 24% of your RDV. Vitamin B6 helps promote the production of some of your bodies hormones, such as serotonin, norepinephrine (stabilizes mood) and melatonin (promotes sleep and waking) (1)
- Magnesium- Many Americans are deficient in magnesium. Plantains offer 16% of your RDV. This is important because magnesium is key for healthy bones because it affects the absorption of calcium. It also has been used to help with sleep problems and migraines. (2)
- They last forever- You can eat them green, yellow or even BLACK! They are usually cooked at all three stages. The black ones are the sweetest but the green ones are perfect for things like our flatbread! The yellow ones I usually just pan fry! SO GOOD!!!