Tid Bit(e) Tuesday
I feel like mushrooms are something people just add to meals but they don’t really know why they are eating them or why they should be eating them. Here I will give you some tips about mushrooms and why they can benefit you!
- Reduce blood pressure- Mushrooms are low in sodium and contain potassium (15% of your daily value!) to help keep your blood pressure in check
- IMMUNITY- Mushrooms are full of selenium which enhances immune response to foreign molecules found in your body
- This is also makes it a good food to eat to fight CANCER!
- ANTIOXIDANTS- Yes mushrooms have antioxidants! Even as much as red peppers
- LOTS OF VITAMIN B- Specifically riboflavin and niacin which are crucial for a healthy metabolism and nervous system (which pretty much controls your whole body!)
- And last but not least VITAMIN D- Mushrooms are the only plant that actually contain Vitamin D. Mushrooms produce vitamin D in the sunlight just like us! That means for the people living in the cold, cloudy areas (is summer coming yet??) you can actual consume Vitamin D from mushrooms. I read this study done by a man living in the UK. He went to the doctors and they told him he had very low vitamin D levels. So he grew his own mushrooms under a UV light lamp and ate them everyday. And sure enough his levels went back to NORMAL!!